Newspaper Indexing

Robin Dombrow RDombrow at ci.leesburg.fl.us
Fri Feb 18 10:11:08 EST 2000

I know this was discussed last fall (I checked the archives), but does
anyone have anything further to add about indexing newspapers or other local
history databases and loading to web?
  We are starting a project and our city computer people said yesterday that
we could not use Access to index material (it wasn't good enough) and they
said there is nothing they know of which will do the job we want to load a
searchable index to the web.
  We have an obit index covering about 20 years of the local papers and want
to do a retrospective index as well. Also have a local history file which
has notations from census, cemetery, wills, deeds, voter's registrations,
etc.  What we want is to make a database of these files, load them on our
webpage and take the old drawers out of the area.
   I have forwarded your comments from last fall to my asst. director, but
wanted to know if there are any additions, corrections, cautions. I know it
can be done. Some of you are doing it.

I appreciate the help,

Robin

Robin D. Dombrowsky