[WEB4LIB] Re: curious web design

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Tue Feb 15 17:25:50 EST 2000

Eric,

I'll work on getting people to get rid of the blue underline if you can get them
to use right-justified navigation rails.
:)
Seriously, to quote Mr. Nielsen:
"Blue text means "click here" on the Web, so by keeping unvisited links blue,
there is no doubt in users' minds as to what they can do. The time they save by
knowing what to do on a page is probably much bigger than the time they lose by
having the few words in the hypertext anchors be a few milliseconds slower to
read."
[http://www.useit.com/alertbox/991114.html]

If sites do move away from underlining links, I like those that include the
underlining when you hover over the link.  It provides the visual clue that
relates to the "standard" concept of the link.

Andrew Mutch
Library System Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI