Proxy configuration loading

Cathy Cox cathy_cox at wvmccd.cc.ca.us
Fri Feb 11 17:42:48 EST 2000

We've had a number of students complain that they're having trouble getting
into our library databases when they need to use automatic proxy
configuration. . . I've even had trouble on my machine at home, and I
*know* I have my proxies set up correctly. Usually the message is
"Automatic proxy configuration cannot be loaded." with an additional line
about using a previously cached proxy configuration. That works ok, IF the
cached configuration is correct. If it's not, for example if someone needs
to switch between proxies for access to their system at work and proxies
for remote access to the school's computers, then it's a real pain.

But I haven't found anyone who seems to know what's going on. Our tech
folks have tried to tell me that it's coming up because the proxy server is
busy or unavailable, but that doesn't seem to fit what seems to be
happening. The message seems to be machine-specific, and once it starts to
come up on a particular PC it doesn't seem to go away. Anyone with any
clues? I'd really like to be able to solve this one.

Catherine Cox
Electronic Resources Librarian
Mission College