This is just plain weird

Stacy Pober spober at manhattan.edu
Fri Feb 11 17:33:00 EST 2000

I had posted about a week ago regarding the problem where some of our
pc's were retrieving an old version of one of our most-used web pages
(our catalog and database page.)

I spoke to the campus webmistress, and when she heard the problem, she
pointed out that the campus web server had recently been moved to a
different machine with a different IP address - but that they had not
taken dow the old server.  The machines getting the old version of the
page were getting erroneous DNS information and were being pointed to
the OLD webserver.  That's why clearing the cache had no effect.  We
fixed the network settings to ensure that all the public machines were
now pointing to the same DNS server, and voila, problem solved.

Another one of life's little mysteries solved.  Thanks to all who
suggested possible solutions.

--
Stacy Pober, Information Alchemist
Manhattan College Libraries