Legal signatures ramifications

Janet Kaul jmk at synopsys.com
Fri Feb 11 12:10:36 EST 2000

I'd adore it if anyone could give me insight on the following dilemma.

Our Legal department wants to put all of their contracts online for easier
searching and so they don't have to fax them to our salespeople. They are
scanning in signed contracts, as the salespeople need the signatures to show
customers.

However, they don't want anyone to be able to alter these contracts. Apparently,
by federal law, any facsimile of a contract with signatures is still a legal
contract, and we could be held liable for someone who has a copy and somehow
changes it.

We are scanning the contracts into Acrobat, putting them into a document
management system, and preventing anyone from saving a copy and changing it on
their desktop without a password (they have to be able to print to take a copy
to customers).

Of course, there is still always the opportunity to do a screen shot when
viewing, or print a copy out, scan it in, and edit it on the desktop somehow.
These possibilities are frightening our legal department into abandoning putting
contracts on line. They realize they face the same possibilities when faxing
contracts to the sales people, but it's on a much smaller scale since not all
the contracts are easily obtainable that way.

Has anyone else faced such a situation? How did you resolve it? Does anyone have
contracts on line in their systems? Does anyone know of any changes to the law
that might protect a company in these situations?

Any help is appreciated.

Janet Kaul, Corporate Knowledge Librarian, jmk at synopsys.com