[WEB4LIB] going "back" from sites

Dan Lester dan at 84.com
Fri Feb 11 11:59:18 EST 2000

TJE> I would like to know why with some web pages or sites, when you
TJE> click on the browser's "back" button, it will not let you go back
TJE> and you are forever stuck in this web site or page.  I am
TJE> reduced to clicking the "home" button and starting over.  Is this
TJE> an attribute that has been specifically added to the html or is
TJE> it a browser thing or .... what is it and who has control over
TJE> it?  Thanks for your responses in advance!

In some cases a new browser window is being opened.  Users frequently
don't notice this happening.  In those cases you can simply close the
new window, or return to the original, and then you can go further
back.  In other cases a bit of JavaScript such as this is being used:

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
<!--
parent.location.replace("http://www.acm.org/pubs/contents/journals/cacm/");
//-->
</SCRIPT>

There are other ways it can be done too. So, basically, in most cases
it is being done by the page on the server.

However, I've noticed a few cases where I've not been able to figure
out why it is happening....and some seem to be simply a problem of the
machine being about to crash, as after a reboot the problem isn't
replicated.

dan

--
Dan Lester, 3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID  83716-7115  USA
dan at 84.com   www.84.com   www.postcard.org  208-383-0165