[WEB4LIB] Netscape link problems...

Dennis VanArsdale dvanarsd at systema.westark.edu
Thu Feb 10 15:41:00 EST 2000

Send reply to:  	skelsey at lsu.edu
Subject:        	[WEB4LIB] Netscape link problems...
> All of our computers in the reference section have to be rebooted
> constantly because the links in Netscape quit working-
> the connection is still alive, the links just don't work.  It happens on
> various versions of Netscape and both NT and 95
> operating systems.....
<snip.
We have the same problem from time to time; it seems to be a
snag in the Java script that ties up the PC.  If I can turn off
security, close enough extraneous stuff to get the to Java error
message, and okay that, I can sometimes avoid a reboot.  That's
several IFs, however.
We're using Netscape 4.08 standalone to avoid students tying up
the stations with email, chat, games, etc., as much as possible,
so we seem to have fewer instances of this than you at present.
Some sites just seem to have a lot of Java hung on them, and can
choke IE and Netscape both -- it depends on how bad (or
advanced) the coding is, apparently.

We use Netscape because it doesn't hide its workings from us and
can be configured simply.  IE is doing somewhat better these
days, perhaps, but each new version is a new exercise in getting it
to work.  We have less trouble with Netscape on upgrades, and
have the no-mail version easily available.

Dennis G. Van Arsdale, Technical Services Librarian
Boreham Library, Westark College*********
P.O. Box 3649  Fort Smith ARkansas 72913-3649
(501) 788-7206  -- dvanarsd at systema.westark.edu
http://www.westark.edu