[WEB4LIB] Netscape link problems...

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Thu Feb 10 12:16:06 EST 2000

Don't feel alone.  I've had the exact same problem with different
versions of stand alone navigator and communicator since last November.
I check one PC by our reserves and tried to get our library's home page
to come up on navigator and got that familiar popup box saying the
server may be down when the page would come right up in IE4 or 5.  Our
home page does have a javascript but I'm not so sure this problem is
javascript oriented but I may be wrong.  I heard or read that there was
a problem with Netscape's tcpbuffer but I thought that was referring to
a specific release of standalone navigator.  Maybe when AOL acquired
Netscape they fired the ones that knew about avoiding this problem :-)
.  I would be very interested to hear exactly what may be causing this
problem if anyone knows.  I haven't seen anything on Netscape's page
about this but I think support or at least access to support is lacking
since the AOL acquisition and changes made to the Netscape home page.

Thomas

skelsey at lsu.edu wrote:

> All of our computers in the reference section have to be rebooted
> constantly because the links in Netscape quit working-
> the connection is still alive, the links just don't work.  It happens on
> various versions of Netscape and both NT and 95
> operating systems.
>
> One theory is it is caused by the email all the students use here, which
> has a java pop-up window; when the problem occurs, task
> manager shows a second instance of Netscape which I believe may be called
> from Javascript embedded in the email page.
>
> I do not want to disable javascript, and there would be great resistance to
>  switching to Internet Explorer.
>
> Does anyone out there have another solution to this annoying problem?
>
> thanks in advance,
> Sigrid Kelsey

                      Rock and Rule
             Zope Rocks -- http://www.zope.org
           Python Rules  -- http://www.python.org
Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett      Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II             University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/webmaster/
Voice:  828 262 6587	           FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine