[WEB4LIB] Re: Plugins

Michael Brown michaelb at nethost.multnomah.lib.or.us
Wed Feb 9 19:09:32 EST 2000

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Robert Sullivan wrote:

> >     We are setting up a bunch of new public workstations (Win 95) and are
> >     creating a list of Plug-ins that we will use.  Are there any latest
> >     and greatest that you all would suggest we use?
>
> Someone should put together a Web page listing the latest versions of them.  I
> just downloaded a bunch yesterday for some new machines.
>
> First, I download the latest version of Internet Explorer 5.01 and whatever
> plugins MS offers on its site.  I think that included Shockwave and Windows
> Media Player as of yesterday.
>
> Then I went to Apple for QuickTime 4.1, Adobe for Acrobat 4.05 (which is
> slightly larger than the 4.05 I downloaded a couple of months ago), Real.com
> for RealPlayer 7 Basic and Ipix for their Ipix viewer (360-degree photos).
> That last one is just to impress the occasional audience.

	Don't forget to choose the update feature in RealPlayer 7 Basic to
install the several plugins for it too.  Multnomah County also began
rolling out the Microsoft Office viewers (as much as I detest the posting
of these file-types on the web) to accommodate those patrons with .doc
file attachements in their Hotmail, etc.  They work very much like Acrobat
Reader.  These are available for Excel, Word, and PowerPoint as three
different installs, though my co-worker mentioned finding a single setup
file.

Here's the Viewer for Word:

http://officeupdate.microsoft.com/2000/downloadDetails/wd97vwr32.htm

> Most of these can be downloaded once and copied to any PC where you need to
> install them.
>
> I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has found some others useful in public
> access situations.
>
> Bob Sullivan                               scp_sulli at sals.edu
> Schenectady County Public Library (NY)     http://www.scpl.org

	Michael Brown  <michaelb at multnomah.lib.or.us>
	Network Analyst, Multnomah County Library

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach him to use the Net
and he won't bother you for weeks."