pre-set archive search links

TMGB bennettt at am.appstate.edu
Wed Feb 9 13:44:12 EST 2000

I try to search the W4L archives first when I need a solution and thank
those that keep up this service.  I second your suggestion to
incorporate links in the bottom of every post.  Here is an example
footer from the Zope list:

Zope maillist  -  Zope at zope.org
(Related lists -

Reading these from Netscape messenger, all I need do is click if I want
info.

I've notice some lists even include an unsubscribe link which should
help eliminate posts to the list and/or individuals that say
"unsubscribe me please"

Again, thank you to the individuals that administer this list and its
online support vehicles, Roy, et al

Thomas

Andrew Mutch wrote:

> I've always found the Web4Lib's existing archives and reference center
> meet my needs to do this kind of searching.  However, I think people may
> be unaware of these resources.  Normally, if someone has searched there
> already and turned up empty handed, they mention it when posting to the
> list.  Maybe it is something that can be incorporated into the bottom of
> each post from the list?  Otherwise, I'm not sure what would be the best
> way to publicize those resources.
>
> http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/
>
> Andrew Mutch
> Library Systems Technician
> Waterford Township Public Library
> Waterford, MI
>
> Hanan Cohen wrote:
>
> > Once in a while, a question is asked in web4lib that was previously
> > asked and answered.
> > Also, the same questions get new answers as technology develps, new
> > products emerge and new people join the list.
> >
> > (Usually a FAQ is created for this exact purpose. I am not willing to
> > take the challange of creating one and I don't know of anyone else
> > either.)
> >
> > Subjects that I can think off now are:
> > Printing queue control
> > Proxying (several issues)
> > Configuring browsers for kiosk mode
> > etc.
> >
> > How about setting up a page somwhere with pre-set searches on the
> > web4lib archive so people will be able so search there first and then
> > ask if they don't find the answers they want?
> >
> > Search terms will have to be selected carefully so they will cover all
> > postings regarding the subject.
> >
> > Any comments?
> >
> > --
> > Hanan Cohen - http://www.info.org.il (Hebrew only)
> > ***Love and Peace***

                      Rock and Rule
             Zope Rocks -- http://www.zope.org
           Python Rules  -- http://www.python.org
Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett      Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant II             University Library
bennettt at am.appstate.edu
http://www.library.appstate.edu/webmaster/
Voice:  828 262 6587	           FAX:    828 262 3001

Windows 95 is a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit patch for an 8-bit
operating system that was originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor.
 - Chris Dunphy     Boot Magazine