[WEB4LIB] Nielsen Netratings in the library

Walt_Crawford at notes.rlg.org Walt_Crawford at notes.rlg.org
Wed Dec 20 15:57:28 EST 2000

Offhandedly, I'm going to say that neither the threat nor the promise
amount to much...for the same reason.

Are you aware of the people who provide the source material for Nielsen TV
ratings? Of course not: if you (and TV networks) were, their credibility
would be ruined. Ditto the Net ratings. These ratings only work if (a) the
sample being monitored is statistically representative, (b) the sample
being monitored is _anonymous to those being rated_ so as to be free of
influence.

It would wreck Nielsen's credibility to make any identification of
individual monitored machines available to anybody. That means that privacy
should not be much of an issue--but it also means that there's no plausible
way that your institution can get "credit" for "research."

Only my opinion, but based on some background as to how ratings services
_must_ work in order to maintain credibility.

-walt crawford-
[Portion of original message]