[WEB4LIB] Blocking other online apps

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Mon Dec 11 11:27:31 EST 2000

I knew that people would want to know how to block other online applications, like Yahoo! Companion and Yahoo! Messenger.  I've tested a few of the more popular apps and these settings should prevent patrons from downloading these applications.

AOL Instant Messenger:  www.aol.com
[I wasn't able to test this as it kept timing out when it went to download from AOL but I think that should work]

MSN Messenger:  www.conxion.com
[This is the site where Messenger downloads the app]

Yahoo [various Yahoo do-dads]:  www.yahoo.com

One note:  If you allow patron access to online e-mail, placing a site in the Restricted category automatically blocks cookies, among other things.  If you leave that blocked, patrons will probably not be able to access mail.  You may want to change that setting under Security Settings to allow patrons access to mail but not to have
access to the Instant Messengers.

Again, if you have any questions, please contact me directly!

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI