[WEB4LIB] Killing Frames

Eric Hellman eric at openly.com
Thu Dec 7 10:30:42 EST 2000

Rich,

I see no one else has answered. The technique we use for this is to
send a web page which

1. spawns a small window with links back to our site.
2. does a scripted redirect to the target page in the main window.

You can see this working here:
http://my.linkbaton.com/isbn/156205810X?sitePage=redirect
Turn off javascript and you can view the source at your leisure.

The main shortcoming to this approach is that depending on the screen
size and platform of the user, the new window can get easily lost.

Eric

>    Here's what I wanted to do:  On our library's intranet site, I have
>links to other libraries' catalogs.  If you click the 'Frames' link for an
>outside library catalog (there's also a 'No Frames' link), the main frame
>would be their catalog; there would also be a footer frame from our site
>with three links:  Home, Remove Frames, and Request Book.  Clicking Request
>Book would bring up a pop-up window with an ILL request form for the user
>to fill out while looking at the record at the outside library.
>
>    Well, this doesn't work, apparently because several of those outside
>libraries' Web OPACs use the <BASE TARGET="_parent"> tag in their pages'
><HEAD> section.  That must remove my footer frame when a link on their page
>is clicked.  I obviously can't change their settings, so I was wondering if
>there is any other way to do what I want, namely, to give our users the
>ability to request materials from libraries whose Web sites we have led
>them to without jotting down/printing the information, then going back to
>our Web page, finding the Request Book form, etc..  I will have a separate
>"Request Book" form accessable directly from the home page, but I really
>wanted this added degree of convenience.
>
>    Does anyone have any suggestions on how to achieve this end without
>frames?  Or, on getting around the <BASE TARGET="_parent"> issue -- if
>that's what it is?  Any other ideas?
>
>Thanks so much,
>Rich

>Rich Harrington