[WEB4LIB] Hard Drive Security Products

Gerri Moeller gmoeller at mail.owls.lib.wi.us
Thu Dec 21 09:51:10 EST 2000

Chris:

Here at the Outagamie Waupaca Library System we use Fortres and Cooler
(Cooler enables you to allow only certain parts of an application to
function.) and Deep Freeze.  Deep Freeze allows you to store a saved
configuration, and each time the PC is rebooted, the computer reverts to
that saved configuration.  We've had very good luck with it so far.  Our
librarians find that it works well and is easy to use.

We tried the Centurion Guard and had some problems with installation.
My guess is that it is one of the most secure of the available solutions
out there.  Fortres Grand corporation also makes a competitive product
to Deep Freeze called Clean Slate.

All three of these solutions: Deep Freeze, Centurion Guard, and Clean
Slate allow full access to the machine, but changes made are not saved.
They are discarded upon reboot.

-Gerri

--
Gerri Moeller