[WEB4LIB] Re: Powering down PCs

Richard Wiggins wiggins at mail.com
Wed Aug 30 23:29:48 EDT 2000

Much as I hate to disagree with Walt, I'm going to. :-)

While I agree that this discussion is now 15 years old, and while I agree
that the worries over power cycling a PC are mostly misplaced, I think it's
important to realize that shutting down banks of PCs doesn't answer the
whole problem.

The fact of the matter is that PCs spend a lot of time idle during the work
day, and many work days may not begin and end precisely on a schedule -- and
many banks of PCs are not assigned to just one worker on one shift. So
there's lots of idling during "work" hours.

So... I think the thing to do is to include Energy Star compliance in your
fleet purchase evaluations, and pay particular attention to the monitor's
power consumption when it is in full sleep mode (NEC for instance has
monitors that sleep at 8 watts) and make sure power management is enabled on
all PCs -- and not thwarted by screen savers.

Of course if you've got a large bank of PCs you know will be absolutely idle
over an extended period it may make sense to shut them down. But enabling
Energy Star on every PC could make as big a dent in power consumption.

By the way, a commercial company, Parabon, is going to take a page out of
SETI's book and pay people and institutions to use idle cycle time on their
fleets of PCs. It's really a very neat idea -- just as Gnutella and pals
merge the file system of everyone's PC into a global collective, these folks
want to do the same with spare CPU cycles, and build a global supercomputer
out of millions of PCs.

See http://www.parabon.com/

I'm waiting for some enterprising unit at a university to sign up all their
PCs for the program, only to find that the power plant (which doesn't charge
for electricity) is upset, and the general fund wants the proceeds to go to
it, not to the forward-thinking unit...

/rich