[WEB4LIB] Catalog Use Only (Public Stations)

Hagen Amen hagena at nethost.multnomah.lib.or.us
Tue Aug 29 16:08:25 EDT 2000

> I searched the archives but could not find answers to these questions.
> We've just made the switch from a combination of dumb terminals and pc's
> to all pc's.  In the past, patrons could use either the text only or the
> web version of the catalog.  How would you recommend restricting some of
> the web stations for library catalog use only?  We'd like to utilize the
> software rather than just signs for patrons; perhaps restricting to a
> specific url? Or?

If you're using either Netscape or IE, you can use a false proxy server
with entries for allowed (bypass proxy) URLs. That's what I use here for
our Library Resource Stations, which are restriced to the catalog and
licensed electronic databases.

> Also, in situations where 20-40 pc's need to be shut down at night by
> one staff person (either in a training room or in a public area on the
> main floor) are there any recommendations for a new or rennovated space
> to make this easier?  We've discussed powering down from the Information
> Desk with a system that "sees" all the stations or electrical solutions
> where we actually we want the power disconnected for a vacation or break
> period.

If you mean electically shut down, you'll need to go the route of a
power solution. Otherwise, just use the resource kit utility
'shutdown.exe' to remotely shutdown or reboot the machines. Easily
scripted.

--
Hagen  Amen
Multnomah County Library Network Analyst