SimplePassword on Apache Web Server on Linux

Bob Jones bjones at unf.edu
Sun Aug 27 19:17:10 EDT 2000

As we are building new library web servers on Linux, we are trying to add
the features and functionality which are on our *aged* campus web server.
Particularly, we have been unable to locate the authentication module that
uses the following statements in the .htaccess file:

AuthSimplePassword mypswd
AuthName this_UNF_Library_Secure_Directory
AuthType Basic

Using this module the single password "mypswd" permits access without the
standard encrypted userid/password files in the current Apache version.
All of the security is set at the directory/subdirectory level with no
"root" involvement.  While we realize that this security is very
superficial, it meets the needs of our faculty to protect certain
documents within their user account web directories.

Our campus Unix administrators don't know where this function/module came
from or where/if it is still available.

Do any of you know if this program/module is still available and where?

Thanks!
Bob Jones

Bob Jones                                    mailto:bjones at unf.edu
Head, Public Services Division and Systems Coordinator
University of North Florida Library          http://www.unf.edu/library/
P.O. Box 17605                               (904) 620-2552 (SC 861-2552)
Jacksonville, FL  32245-7605                 FAX: (904) 620-2719
                                             ARIEL: 139.62.208.88