GrayLIT Network Now Available

Gerry Mckiernan GMCKIERN at gwgate.lib.iastate.edu
Sun Aug 27 15:46:24 EDT 2000

                              _ GrayLIT Network Now Available_

  I recently learned that the GrayLIT Network is now available

                          [http://www.osti.gov/graylit/ ]

<QUOTE>
GrayLIT Network provides a portal for over 100,000 FULL_TEXT technical reports located at the Department of Energy, Department of Defense, Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA). Collections in the GrayLIT collaboration include the DOE Information Bridge; the Defense Technical Information Center (DTIC) Report Collection; the EPA National Environmental Publications Internet Site (NEPIS); the NASA Jet Propulsion Lab Reports; and the NASA Langley Technical Reports.

[http://www.osti.gov/promo/pressgrayfed.html ]

[The U.S. Interagency Gray Literature Working Group, "Gray Information Functional Plan," 18 January 1995, defines gray literature as "foreign or domestic open source material that usually is available through specialized channels and may not enter normal channels or systems of publication,
distribution, bibliographic control, or acquisition by booksellers or subscription
agents."

Both "gray" literature and "grey" literature are commonly used to describe this body of information. The decision often hinges on country of origin for the literature, or alternately country of publication.]

[ http://www.osti.gov/graylit/whatsnew.html ]

</QUOTE>

<QUOTE>

Developed by the Department of Energy's Office of Scientific and Technical Information (OSTI), in collaboration with DOD/DTIC, NASA, and EPA, the GrayLIT Network is a portal for technical report information generated through federally funded research and development projects. The GrayLIT Network was released in early response to recommendations from a May 2000 Workshop held at the National Academy of Sciences.

[http://www.osti.gov/graylit/about.html ]

</QUOTE>

<QUOTE>
GrayLIT Network ... [is]  being made available to the public in partnership with the Government Printing Office through GPO Access (http://www.access.gpo.gov/su_docs). These tools are maintained by OSTI, a part of the DOE Office of Science. The Director of OSTI is Dr. Walter L. Warnick, (301) 903-7996.

[ http://www.osti.gov/promo/pressgrayfed.html ]
</QUOTE>

  I initially learned about GrayLIT Network as a result of a response to  previous posting  [Thanks, Valerie]

         [http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/Web4Lib/archive/0008/0008.html ]

requesting recommendations for "New Products in Grey Literature", a review colum I write for the _International Journal on Grey Literature_

[ http://www.mcb.co.uk/ijgl.htm ]

published by MCB University Press and edited by Julia Gelfand. Applied Sciences Librarian,  of the University of California, Irvine.

BTW: My latest column, "arXiv.org: The Los Alamos National Laboratory E-Print Server" was published earlier this month  [IJGL (1(3): 127-138]

[http://www.emerald-library.com/cgi bin/EMRbrowcite.cgi?recno=55&index=jt ]

   Recommendations for Any and All services, systems, or software that relate
to the management, access, and control of Grey Literature  for review in a future column are Most Welcome! [Of course, I will be reviewing GreyLIT!]

/Gerry McKiernan
Science and Technology Librarian and Bibliographer
Iowa State University Library
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

        "The Best Way To Predict the Future is to Invent It!"
                                          Alan Kay