[WEB4LIB] 404 page

Huntington Woods Public Library htwd at tln.lib.mi.us
Fri Aug 25 20:45:21 EDT 2000

Always remember to check the archives before posting.  A previous message
follows:

I thought I would pass along an interesting tip I discovered this weekend.
If you make a lot of directory changes or delete pages from your website,
you will appreciate this.  Instead of a user seeing the default 404 error
page when a page no longer exists, you can create your own!

Create a file called '.htaccess' with the following line and place it in the
root directory:

ErrorDocument 404 http://www.yourwebserver.com/404.html

Then, create a file called 404.html and make it redirect to your server's
homepage.

You can view an example at http://www.huntington-woods.lib.mi.us/404.html

Enjoy!