Candidates for _Beyonf Bookmarks: Schemes for Organizing the Web_

Gerry Mckiernan GMCKIERN at gwgate.lib.iastate.edu
Fri Aug 18 16:29:07 EDT 2000

  _Candidates for _Beyond Bookmarks: Schemes for Organizing the Web_

       I am greatly interested in identifying additional Web collections
that have adopted/adapted Library classification schemes or controlled vocabularies to organize Web resources. These will be reviewed for inclusion in my Web clearinghouse _Beyond Bookmarks: Schemes for Organizing the Web_.

    _Beyond Bookmarks_ is available at:

   http://www.public.iastate.edu/~CYBERSTACKS/CTW.htm

      I am not only interested in the application of international
schemes such as Dewey and Library of Congress, but *national and  local* library schemes as well. Of particular interest is the application of a *controlled vocabulary* for organizing or augmenting access to a Web collection.

   Among the sites that I have recently added is the AgNIC
[ http://www.agnic.org ] site from the National Agricultural Library (NAL) that makes use of an internally-developed thesaurus titled "NAL Agricultural Classification Prototype "  [http://agclass.nal.usda.gov/agdb70/index.htm ]

  As Always, Any and All contributions, queries, critiques, comments, questions, concerns, etc., etc. are Most Welcome.

 Regards,

/Gerry McKiernan
Theoretical Librarian
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

   "The Best Way to Predict the Future is to Invent It!"
                               Alan Kay
      http://ei.cs.vt.edu/~history/GASCH.KAY.HTML