Amazon-like OPAC

Gerry Mckiernan GMCKIERN at gwgate.lib.iastate.edu
Fri Aug 11 16:54:52 EDT 2000

                                  _Amazon-like OPAC_

OPACs with Amazon.com features and functionalities
[Amazon.com Added Value Features and Functionalities for the OPAC],
I have learned that SIRSI [www.sirsi.com] has developed an OPAC with these  benefits called iBistro [Information Bistro].

   To quote Mark Moorehead, Director for Academic Libraries of SIRSI,
iBistro "offers an inviting, amazon-like interface, has a link to Amazon.com from every full-record view screen, and incorporates features like 'my favorites and "what others have checked out recently"

   A press release provides additional details
[ http://sirsi.com/Preleases/ibistro.html  ]

  [ In addition, there are four screen shots that are available which unfortunately exceed the limit of submission to this list. Bu take my word, they are quite impressive]

     David Dorman, a Library Consultant with the Lincoln Trail Libraries System out of Champaign, IL has informed me that  "the SIRSI system is implementing some of the features you mentioned.  In theory, SFX (marketed by Ex Libris and based on the OpenURL protocol) can do all that you listed, and more, but requires libraries to set up the services on its SFX server.  Without a doubt, linking all library-provided  resources is the next big step in library management systems, and the OpenURL provides a standard (not yet official, but under consideration) for enabling any type of linking service the library or a vendor would like to provide.  Let us hope that more content providers and system vendors begin to  support this standard."

   [Thanks Mark and David!]

/Gerry McKiernan
Amazon Librarian
Iowa State University
Ames IA 50011

gerrymck at iastate.edu

                              "I guess the Future is Now, Toto"
                                        With Apologies to Dorothy

                                       DISCLAIMER

     This posting is for informational purposes only and does not constitute an endorsement.