Database driven web pages and subject headings

Fritzi Batchelor Fritzi.Batchelor at uconn.edu
Fri Aug 11 12:40:46 EDT 2000

We have built two databases (Access delivered via Cold Fusion) that you
might find interesting.

The research database locator, called dCompass, does have a subject taxonomy
derived from LC.
It is located at:
http://norman.lib.uconn.edu/NewSpirit/Databases/
We have modified the taxonomy to meet our local needs, in particular, to
match the disciplines covered by our academic liaison program.

The eJournal locator, called eCompass is at:
http://norman.lib.uconn.edu/NewSpirit/FullText/
It is a title arrangement.  Users can click on the title and are
authenticated and passed through to the (mostly commercial) database.

Fritzi Batchelor
Head, Information Technology Services
University of Connecticut Libraries
369 Fairfield Rd, U-5SY
Storrs, CT.  06269-1005
Phone:  (860) 486-5397   Fax:  (860) 486-3593
Email:  fritzi.batchelor at uconn.edu
Web:  http://www.lib.uconn.edu/~fbatchelor

>Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 06:54:37 -0400
>From: "Masters, Gary E" <GEM at CDRH.FDA.GOV>
>To: "'web4lib at webjunction.org'" <web4lib at webjunction.org>
>Subject: Database driven web pages - where to get "subject headdings"
>
>I am also looking at databases to drive web pages.  Once everything is in a
>database, there ought to be several things to help manage it that can not
be
>done with other systems.  Perhaps we can share some here as we learn what
>works and what does not.
>
>My solution for a web page (intranet) that has many links was to build it
on
>a Cold Fusion database.  We will have one database of all types of journals
>and another of links.  Before I can turn it over to the programmer, I have
>been trying to come up with a list of "descriptors" that can be used to
>search and organize the links.  Since our Center is for medical devices and
>radiological health we need  medicine, business and the hard sciences.
What