[WEB4LIB] Re: BANaRAMA(sm): A Registry of Library Promotional

Jerry Kuntz jkuntz at rcls.org
Mon Aug 7 13:25:22 EDT 2000

I'd like to second Thomas' sentiment as he expressed:
<snip>
> Marketing is inherently a process of you, the marketer, determining the
> message that I, the consumer, should receive.  It is appropriate and
> necessary in some library contexts: hence the zillions of bookmarks we
> distribute with checked out books, the signs on the public service desks
> and workstations, and so on.  Similar marketing is terribly
> inappropriate in other library contexts: when I ask the reference
> librarian for help locating materials on subject X, I will not stand for
> an introductory spiel on the new resources in subject Y.
</snip>
And moreover suggest that this applies to commercial search engines, as
well. I find the practice particularly annoying in kids' search engines.
Take a look at Go Kids (from Infoseek/Disney):
http://www.go.com/Center/Kids/
And observe the amount of screen space given to ads, online polls, banners
for content partners, and other features vs. the amount of space allocated
to the search feature. I can no longer point users to this site as a "search
engine". Adults may be expected to exercise their discretion to view your
ads as annoying, distracting, or provoking curiousity. However, I think it's
a terribly mixed message to send to kids as we try to nurture their research
skills.
Jerry Kuntz
Ramapo Catskill Library System
jkuntz at rcls.org