E-books and public libraries

Toni Walder walderan at oplin.lib.oh.us
Wed Aug 2 10:06:02 EDT 2000

Even though e-book are the talk of the library world, I hope
e-publishers, authors and readers will think (just a little) out of the
box on this one. The Rocket-eBook and Softbook ARE both pretty expensive
AND the current software involved in selling them means that they can
only work in libraries if the library lends the device itself, something
poorer libraries cannot afford to do. In addition, circulating the
devices with preloaded books really means that we are simply providing
our users with a toy or a tool, not the information that is at the core
of library services.

There is an alternative/adjunct medium, which some publishers, i.e.
peanutpress, are already exploring. It is possible to download books on
handheld computers like the Handspring Visor and PalmPilot. And
peanutpress, for one, is already working on a library use module.   The
handheld ebooks have the advantage of a large market already in place, a
device that is very portable and multifunctional, and lower cost than
the current ebook readers. Try them. I think you'll like them.

--
Toni Walder
walderan at oplin.lib.oh.us
Wright Memorial Public Library                          937-294-8572
(voice)
1776 Far Hills Ave
937-294-8578 (fax)
Dayton OH 45419

"I would rather be a coward than brave because people hurt you when
 you are brave." -- E. M. Forster