[WEB4LIB] Signing up the multitudes for Internet use

Steve Casburn casburns at uhddx01.dt.uh.edu
Tue Aug 1 13:57:53 EDT 2000

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Jeff Papier wrote:

> Hello Gentle ListFolk,
>
> Contrary to all my learned prognostications, our public Internet usage has
> absolutely skyrocketed over these past few years (Web, email).
>
> We weary librarians are searching for a patron-friendly means of having
> patrons sign themselves up for Internet time.  Currently we book everybody
> for the 11 PCs, and it's become a drain on our time and morale.  Patrons
> are allowed 1 hour of use per signup, with one signup per day (and "catch
> as catch can" usage after that, depending on how free terminals are).
>
> The archives don't speak to this issue very much, at least for the past
> few years.  So, if your library has any solutions which seem to
> work--whether automated or simply having sign-up sheets which the public
> fills out--please let me know.

	There was an article in the April issue of _Computers in
Libraries_ that dealt with a situation similar to yours.

	The full text of the article is available on-line at:

	http://www.infotoday.com/cilmag/apr00/betcher.htm

	Good luck!

			     Steve

 --
  Steve Casburn  <casburns at uhddx01.dt.uh.edu>
  Automation Librarian, University of Houston - Downtown