Signing up the multitudes for Internet use

Jeff Papier mercury at voicenet.com
Tue Aug 1 13:25:18 EDT 2000

Hello Gentle ListFolk,

Contrary to all my learned prognostications, our public Internet usage has
absolutely skyrocketed over these past few years (Web, email).

We weary librarians are searching for a patron-friendly means of having
patrons sign themselves up for Internet time.  Currently we book everybody
for the 11 PCs, and it's become a drain on our time and morale.  Patrons
are allowed 1 hour of use per signup, with one signup per day (and "catch
as catch can" usage after that, depending on how free terminals are).

The archives don't speak to this issue very much, at least for the past
few years.  So, if your library has any solutions which seem to
work--whether automated or simply having sign-up sheets which the public
fills out--please let me know.

FYI, our library serves around 30,000 to 35,000 people.  It's very busy,
and located in a commute-to-NYC kinda suburb in NJ.

Thanks,

Jeff Papier
Senior Network Librarian and Weary Internet Signer-Upper
South Brunswick Public Library
Monmouth Jct., NJ 08852

mercury at voicenet.com