[WEB4LIB] Re: site search engines

Brian Kelly lisbk at ukoln.ac.uk
Wed Apr 26 06:58:21 EDT 2000

> At 3:11 AM -0700 4/12/2000, Yvonne Reynolds wrote:
> >Apologies for cross-posting.
> >I would like to install a search engine on our web site.   Does
> >anyone have comments on htdig and webglimpse?  We run our site of
> >FreeBSD/Apache and are looking for a free, easy to install and
> >maintain search engine.
> >TIA
>
> Both ht://Dig and WebGlimpse are fine search engines, but don't
> forget to look into SWISH-E (development hosted at Berkeley).    For
> links to reviews and lots of other information on these and other
> search engines, please see my site <http://www.searchtools.com>.
>
> Best of luck,
>
> Avi

Hi Yvonne
   If you'd like to see the search engine software in use at UK
University's see the survey at
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/web-focus/surveys/uk-he-search-engines/
   I gave a talk  on developments in indxing in the UK at the Internet
Librarian International conference in London a few weeks ago.  The
slides are available at:
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/web-focus/events/conferences/libtech-2000/indexin
g/

Hope this is useful.

Brian
Brian Kelly, UK Web Focus
UKOLN, University of Bath, BATH, England, BA2 7AY
Email:  b.kelly at ukoln.ac.uk     URL:    http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/
Homepage: http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/ukoln/staff/b.kelly.html
Phone:  01225 323943            FAX:   01225 826838