[WEB4LIB] site search engines

George Bray listoid at linkalarm.com
Wed Apr 12 20:01:48 EDT 2000

At 3:11 AM -0700 12/4/00, Yvonne Reynolds wrote:
>Apologies for cross-posting.
>I would like to install a search engine on our web site.   Does
>anyone have comments on htdig and webglimpse?  We run our site of
>FreeBSD/Apache and are looking for a free, easy to install and
>maintain search engine.

When we were looking for a search engine one of the requirements was
the ability to index multiple sites. Searches needed to be conducted
across all sites, with the results pointing directly to the site in
question (not via some redirector).

htdig does this for us very well.  It can crawl many sites over the
web and through the filesystem.  It's also very customizable for
presenting multiple pages of ranked results.

It's quite easy to install and requires no maintenance.  It indexes
our sites once a day (they change often) from a cron job, taking only
a few minutes.

http://linkalarm.com/search/

	George

--
George Bray - LinkAlarm - Web Site Link Validation Service
Web: http://linkalarm.com  Email: mailto:george.bray at linkalarm.com