[WEB4LIB] HTTP access and error logs

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Mon Apr 10 20:10:11 EDT 2000

JC> Hi Web folks - For those dealing with them, how long do folks hold onto
JC> their web server http access and error logs?  Any kinds of archival plans?
JC> Months? Years?  Whatever?  Thanks.

At Boise State we have all of our server access logs, for all time....well,
about four years since we brought up this server.  We plan to keep
them permanently. We do not save error logs more than a month or two
old (depending on when I get around to cleaning out).  WebTrends does
some nice longterm studies if you let it take the time to run thru the
mass of logs.  If space is a problem, they Zip up nicely.

We toss our proxy server logs every month since they're so massive.

dan

--
Dan Lester  dan at RiverOfData.com
3577 East Pecan, Boise, ID 83716-7115 USA