[WEB4LIB] ProQuest users list?

John Creech creechj at mumbly.lib.cwu.edu
Mon Apr 10 16:24:38 EDT 2000

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Stacy Pober wrote:

> I know that UMI/Bell&Howell/whoever have their own announcements-only
> email list for ProQuest subscribers.  Does anyone know if there's a
> discussion list for ProQuest users?  I've noticed some problems in the
> database and the tech support people have not been any help.

I don't recall anyone else responding to the Web4lib list on this, Stacy,
and I'd also be interested in hearing others's thoughts.  I agree with
you.  UMI/Bell&Howell/whoever are not always focused on customers--I have
calls in to them on problem titles that are weeks old, and I've heard
nothing back. Case in point - try to do a title search in Bell & Howell's
Research Library Periodicals on the publication _Science_ from the AAAS.
You can't get there from here; the bridge is out.  If you call up their
union list of titles, it's in there as

Science;Washington

I put in a call to them on March 21, and haven't heard anything back for
nearly 3 weeks. I have a hunch they'd do themselves a PR favor by opening
up their list; it seems to have helped quite well w/ Lexis.

John Creech
Electronic Resources & Systems Librarian
Central Washington University Library
400 E. 8th Ave. | Ellensburg, WA 98926 |
office - 509-963-1081 || fax - 509-963-3684
creechj at www.lib.cwu.edu