[WEB4LIB] Using students as programmers

Stephen, Mathew MStephen at library.msstate.edu
Wed Apr 19 14:08:55 EDT 2000

	We had a student do a MyLibrary project for our library as part of
her Master Degree project.  I was hired when she was almost finished, so I
didn't get to give my input on the project.  She did a good job, but
unfortunately we will not be using her program (The program she wrote will
not work with the site I am redesigning).  The main problem we had is the
library staff who was on the MyLibrary committee didn't know how our website
really worked.   As a result, she wrote a program that runs on Unix, while
our library website is running under NT.  There were some other small
problems (if her MyLibrary program would be more work for the Patron than if
we didn't have one)
	On the positive side it was a good learning experience for her.  I
felt a little bad in that she spent so much time and effort on something
that will not be used.  I will be using some of her features in the
MyLibrary program I will write for our redesigned web site.