[WEB4LIB] Re: changed CSS behavior in NS6, IE5

Peter C. Gorman pgorman at library.wisc.edu
Fri Apr 7 12:49:19 EDT 2000

At 9:31 AM -0700 4/7/00, Chiara Fox wrote:
>Netscape has great problems with inheritence and working with
>tables. For a great chart on what parts of CSS Netscape and IE
>support, see:
>http://webreview.com/wr/pub/guides/style/mastergrid.html
>
>-Chiara Fox

But in this case, it's precisely Netscape 4.x that's behaving the way
I think it should (and the table you cite gives NS4 a "Y" for
text-align). I've spent untold hours CSS-ing around Netscape's
various version 4 layout bugs (try throwing some form elements in
those tables!), but v.6 has completely rewritten the formatting
engine, hopefully getting around some of its former bugginess.

It's the new version (and IE5/Mac as well) that seem to be to doing
this rather elementary formatting incorrectly. Or am I just
interpreting CSS1 5.4.6 incorrectly?

--
Peter C. Gorman
pgorman at library.wisc.edu
(608) 265-5291

What's the difference between fiddle players and government bonds?
Government bonds eventually mature and earn money.