[WEB4LIB] changed CSS behavior in NS6, IE5

Chiara Fox fox at rowland.org
Fri Apr 7 12:30:02 EDT 2000

Netscape has great problems with inheritence and working with tables.
For a great chart on what parts of CSS Netscape and IE support, see:
http://webreview.com/wr/pub/guides/style/mastergrid.html

-Chiara Fox

>Please forgive me if this seems long, but this is bewildering me.
>I'm trying to arrange for a table be aligned in the center of a
>page, but to have text in individual cells left-aligned. Naturally,
>I want to use CSS to do it, but I cannot get Netscape 6 or IE 5
>(Mac) to do this with CSS1. The CSS1 spec (5.4.6) says, for the
>'text-align' property:
>
>"Since 'text-align' inherits, all block-level elements inside the
>'DIV' element with 'CLASS=center' will be centered."

Technical Services Librarian
The Rowland Institute for Science
Cambridge, Massachusetts
617.497.4616