Script to configure browser for proxy?

Alicia Abramson abramson at library1.lib.csus.edu
Tue Apr 4 14:09:35 EDT 2000

Has anyone configured a script to help users configure their Web browsers
for a proxy server?  It would be so much easier if we could automate this
part of the process of using a proxy server since so many users have
difficulty with this--even with detailed instructions.  The most common
error seems to be mis-typing the URL--with the wide range of computer
skills out there, many people don't think to copy and paste the URL from
our instructions page (or can't), and use ';' instead of ':' or just spell
something wrong.

Ideally, someone could "click here" to set up their browser and,
presto-chango, it would be done!

Has anybody figured out an better way than just providing instructions and
a troubleshooting form? FYI, we use an automatic proxy configuration script.

Thanks.

Alicia Abramson
Director, Library Information Systems
University Library