Unsupported browser warning

Judy McBrian jbrian at evansville.net
Thu Sep 30 11:23:43 EDT 1999

Rant of the week...
This was brought to my attention by a patron.  We choose  to use
Netscape 4 standalone.  The patron was registering at what was "beta
communities at msn.com"  (While we don't encourage chat, we don't block
it..) and got this message which I'm quoting in part:
"Your  browser and/or operating system will have trouble displaying this
Web site.  Some features may not work, and you may see errors or poorly
formatted pages. In extreme cases your browser or computer may crash"
The message is followed by a "ignore warning...proceed" button and/or
the  suggestion that the person use IE 4 or higher or Navigator 4 or
higher (which is what the machine in question does) followed by another
button that says "Download IE 5--how convenient.
There follows information about cookies enable which does not apply.
The bottom line is however that this appears to be more of that "can't
do that from here using THAT browser!!!" by Microsoft that we are
finding with Hotmail (the pc does crash on Netscape)  and other
Microsoft owned web sites.
Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
;-)

Judy McBrian
Boonville-Warrick Public Library