Chips, Multimedia and Performance

Alicia Abramson abramson at libraryserver.lib.csus.edu
Wed Sep 29 19:11:12 EDT 1999

What are your experiences using PCs with the following chips as Public
Access workstations:

Intel Celeron 400 MHZ and Above
Intel Pentium III 300 MHZ and above
AMD K6-2/400MHz and above

Are there noticeable performance differences? (I know that RAM, cache and
network connection will have an effect, so you can supply that information
too if you like).  I'm particularly interested in performance as it relates
to Web and Multimedia use.

Last--anyone using PCs like the Gateway Profile, so called "all-in-one PCs"
that look like monitors only but have all the components in the monitor
base?  Can these withstand public use/abuse?

Thanks

Alicia

Alicia Abramson
Director, Library Information Systems