How to Make On-Line Bibliographies Useful for Librarians?

Karl M. Bunday kmbunday at ms29.hinet.net
Thu Sep 16 00:21:23 EDT 1999

Greetings,

I have a specific question for which professional librarians are sure
to provide the most enlightening answer. I'm wondering how to upgrade
the on-line bibliographies on my site so that they are more
librarian-friendly, and more compatible with the latest technical
advances in on-line bibliography.

Years ago I took the Univesity of Minnesota's cataloging and
classification course ("Organization of Information") as an
undergraduate elective course, so I have a 1970s-era knowledge of
technical standards in machine-readable bibliographic records. Since
then, I have pursued a hobby of keeping FAQ files, which consist
mostly of bibliographies, on several subjects of personal interest to
post on Internet discussion lists and on my World Wide Web site.

My on-line bibliographies that are already posted to the Web are
linked to from

http://learninfreedom.org/bibliographies.html

which is a link from every page on my Web site.

I would like to put in a big push to update all of those
bibliographies, and to adapt their data fields according to the latest
professional on-line bibliographic practice. I have some more
bibliographies in preparation off-line, not yet posted to my Web site.
What should I know about to do a good job of updating these
bibliography pages and make them as librarian-friendly as possible?
Besides the purely technical standards, what aspects of CONTENT of the
bibliographies should I beef up so that library patrons will find them
helpful for personal research? (My most common reader request for my
site that I have yet to implement is to add Amazon.com links to every
book I mention on my site, which sounds like a patron-friendly idea.
What else would you suggest?)

Some libraries already link to main bibliography page, or to one or
another of the bibliography subpages linked from there. I'd like to
make the bibliographies on my site even more worth linking to by
making them more time-saving and more informative for librarians and
library patrons, so even suggestions you have for my update project
would be most appreciated.

http://learninfreedom.org/bibliographies.html

Thanks in advance,

Karl M. Bunday  "pray for us" 2 Thessalonians 3:1
P.O. Box 674, Panchiao 220, TAIWAN
http://learninfreedom.org