Does this help the user? (was FW: window.open)

Karl M. Bunday kmbunday at ms29.hinet.net
Wed Sep 15 07:08:16 EDT 1999

Vickie Kline wrote,

> Pardon a question from a JavaScript newbie, but how would
> you set up the
> code if you had a list of different links to open as
> separate pages?  ie.
> you wanted the user to be able to open either a link to
> Yahoo or to Snap as separate pages...

>From a usability standpoint, why would you want to do this? That is,
what advantage is there to the user to have the link the user follows
open as a separate page?

Or is there some advantage to the administrator of a public library
Web page in doing this?

I'm asking this as a newbie (to this issue) question, because in my
own Web design I've always figured the user would expect an external
link to open a page that replaces the page the user views--and I am
disconcerted in my own Web browsing when that doesn't happen.

Karl M. Bunday  "pray for us" 2 Thessalonians 3:1
P.O. Box 674, Panchiao 220, TAIWAN
http://learninfreedom.org