[WEB4LIB] Web Cache defeats Netscape proxy

glen.davies at cce.ac.nz glen.davies at cce.ac.nz
Mon Sep 13 20:13:55 EDT 1999

Hi

Another suggestion, but it would involve extra software, is to run
your own proxy and chain it to your isp. Most proxy software
enables you to specify an upstream proxy, so in Netscape you
point to your local proxy which has all your restriction settings and
that proxy then talks to your isp's proxy.

Regards
Glen

On 13 Sep 99, at 14:04, Thomas Edelblute wrote:

> We have discovered that one of the unforseen consequences of our ISPs
> new Web Cashing server is that the proxy settings we put into Netscape
> are now being ignored.  Now instead of people being restricted to our
> proxy setting, people can use the Ctrl-O to go to any web site they
> want.  I know I had it set right before the Web Cashe server was
> isntalled because I tested it.  I was trying to avoid having to purchase
> another program like WinSelect but now I am afraid I may have to.
>
> Has anybody dealt with anything like this before?  Is there any way out
> of it?
>
> --
> Thomas Edelblute
> Anaheim Public Library