Web Cache defeats Netscape proxy

Robert Sullivan SCP_SULLI at sals.edu
Mon Sep 13 17:41:20 EDT 1999

>We have discovered that one of the unforseen consequences of our ISPs
>new Web Cashing server is that the proxy settings we put into Netscape
>are now being ignored.  Now instead of people being restricted to our
>proxy setting, people can use the Ctrl-O to go to any web site they
>want.  I know I had it set right before the Web Cashe server was
>isntalled because I tested it.  I was trying to avoid having to purchase
>another program like WinSelect but now I am afraid I may have to.

One of my long-term projects has been finding a way to lock in browsers without
using proxy settings.  I hope you can use some of this information to modify
Netscape's settings in the way that you need.

If you have IE 4.01 SP2 or IE 5, there are some Registry keys which will
restrict enough functions that you may be able to do what you need without
buying extra software.  See

http://www.jsiinc.com/Tip1100/rh1147.htm

for a list of the keys.  Those specifically related to your question would be:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions

   NoFileOpen:        blocks the Open command via menu or keys

   NoBrowserOptions:  blocks Internet Options (I also do it with permissions)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbars\
Restrictions  (that's one line)

   NoToolbarOptions:  after you turn off the address bar, this prevents them
                      from turning it back on

You'll also want to change CustomizeSearch and SearchAssistant in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search

so that they can't use the Search function to break out.  You can use the
customizable toolbar in IE5 to remove the Search button, but I have not yet
found a way to prevent patrons from getting in and adding it back (for that you
might need WinSelect).  No matter; setting your own search page (a function
which was available in the menu options in IE3 - thanks a lot for removing it,
Microsoft :-( ) will prevent them from doing anything with it.  I set ours to
the same page which links to our index services.

I use the free KiXtart scripting program to do all my Registry changes, and
I'll post it on my site when I'm done with my live testing.

Bob Sullivan                               scp_sulli at sals.edu
Schenectady County Public Library (NY)     http://www.scpl.org