[WEB4LIB] Re: web navigation

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Fri Sep 3 15:35:33 EDT 1999

Prentiss,

Rules are made to be broken, right?
:)
I don't think it is wrong to have "expedient links" that bypass the normal
navigational heirachy - I've done the same thing on our Township's home page - we
highlight those links that have shown the most traffic from our traffic analysis.
However, it's important that the destination pages provide a link(s) back to where
one has come from so that the visitor who hits that resource can then continue to
navigate the site back to the "home" and "global" levels.  This is especially true
because visitors who bookmark a site and "deep linkers" won't encounter the
"normal" navigational hierarchy - so your pages have to provide it for them.  It's
important to have a navigational structure and flow but it shouldn't be so rigid
that it only offers one way to go.  This might provide a better explanation than
I've given:

http://webreview.com/pub/98/05/15/thing/navkit5.html

I sympathize with the decentralized nature of your site - again, I play web
"coordinator", not "webmaster" -  so I have to deal with the same issue.  If you
can get everyone to provide a link back home on each of their pages - you've
probably won half the battle - preferably at the top and bottom of each page.  If
they can also provide a link back to their department "home page" - well, that
will probably save most visitors.

Good luck!

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician