[WEB4LIB] Open Cube's Applet Composer???

David Merchant merchant at bayou.com
Fri Sep 3 11:56:33 EDT 1999

> Good morning!  Have any of you used Open Cube's Applet Composer to design
> infinite menus like the one here: http://www.law.cornell.edu/ ?  The trial
> software seems balky on a 300 MHz Pentium II, and the help file seems nearly
> content-free.
>
> And a few other related questions while I'm at it--are there any freeware
> applets that compose similar infinite menus, and is it a bad idea (because
> of stability, speed, etc.) to put a large applet navigation system on the

I waited 3 minutes for the cornell page to load and when it did, all I got was
a large grey box in place of the applet.  That is one of the problems with Java
applets, not all work on all browsers/platforms/computer configurations.  But
even if it had worked, if it is the kind of menu where the user has to move
their mouse over from one box to another, that is difficult for many people to
keep the mouse button pressed down and slide from one box to the next that
opens up and to keep on "target:" it's easy to mis-click, or slip and have to
start over again.  The question to ask is what benefits will you get from such
a navigation system that will outweigh the cons to using it?  Are the cons of
not using it greater than the cons of using it?  Etc.

TTFN,
David
Systems Librarian, Louisiana Tech University
javascript list administrator <www.mountaindragon.com/javascript/>
HTML Live Examples webmaster <www.mountaindragon.com/html/>
Personal Page <www.mountaindragon.com/merchant/>