LONG list of URLs in Netscape Proxy

Robert Sullivan SCP_SULLI at sals.edu
Tue Sep 28 14:09:08 EDT 1999

>HELP!  I am trying to input a L-O-N-G list of URLs into Netscape Navigator

>I am reasonably sure that Netscape is having trouble with the proxy list
>being so long...  The "missing )" seems to be occurring because my list of
>URLs in the prefs.js file wraps, and thus, line 11 doesn't end properly
>using a ")".  My line 11 and 12 look like:

>Can someone enlighten me as to what are my options?

I had some problems the first time I tried this with Internet Explorer 4.  I
think this was actually because I was trying to use subdirectories, and you can
only use the domain name.  As far as I can tell, IE has no length limit, or at
least not up to a couple of hundred characters.

You could try truncating the line until you don't get the error; that might
tell you if there is a limit.  It might also tell you where a typo is.

I also thought that my script files (created with Notepad) which inserted this
line automatically into the Registry might be having a problem with the long
lime, but they worked fine.  Notepad will wrap onscreen or not as you choose,
but it's still one line.

Bob Sullivan                               scp_sulli at sals.edu
Schenectady County Public Library (NY)     http://www.scpl.org