Using SEC's EDGAR database?

Nick Arnett listbot at mccmedia.com
Thu Oct 7 13:59:08 EDT 1999

I've been quiet on this list for the last year or so, but the insights and
challenges people have expressed here have been valuable in my previous
work at Verity and in my present job at Invisible Worlds.  I'm posting
today to see if there's anyone here who would be interested in help us
decide what capabilities we should add to EDGARspace, our enhanced EDGAR
database (see http://www.invisible.net).  I'm particularly interested in
the insights of people who either search EDGAR themselves or assist patrons
in doing so.

By way of background, the founder of Invisible Worlds is the person who
persuaded the SEC to put EDGAR on the Internet in the first place (his code
is what's still running the WAIS search on the SEC site).  At Invisible
Worlds, we're working on what we think is next-generation, distributed
Internet information retrieval, integrating a standard meta-information
layer on top of existing search engines and databases.  EDGARspace, which
is in alpha test (free to anyone at the moment) is our first application of
this technology; we plan to add many others quickly, and we'll be opening
up our architecture and protocols as a proposed open standard for
meta-information.  The people developing and defining this include the
inventors and implementors of the standards for DNS, e-mail, SNMP and other
key standards, so we think we have a shot at it.  In fact, the chairman of
our protocol advisory board was the Internet's original chief architect.

I'm happy to have discussions of functionality for EDGARspace here, though
it's probably better off the list... but I'll let others choose, of course,
not being a librarian myself!  However, since we're not ready yet to unveil
the proposed protocols to the public, I don't want to even begin to debate
such matters here.  If you'd like to be kept apprised of our work in that
area, feel free to drop me a note and I'll make sure you receive notice of
the key events.  Please rest assured that we are building this with an
awareness of related efforts in the library community, such as those at
OCLC.  We think we have something that could tie many of them together.

Nick Arnett