Please help SLJ: Milestones in Library Tech

GraceAnne A. DeCandido ladyhawk at well.com
Thu Oct 7 10:25:58 EDT 1999

I am resending this message, as it seems to have been lost in
cyberspace:

This is probably not what Walter Minkel as SLJ is looking for: nevertheless,
it is a series of landmarks I take particular pride in. The late,
lamented _Wilson Library Bulletin_ was the first library
magazine to include authors' email addresses as a regular
feature (late 1993); the first to have a column written about
the Internet, called _The Internet Cafe_  and written by Lee
Ratzan (begun May 1993); and the first to have a column of
comments taken off listserves (with permission) called
_Offline_  edited by Alan Mahony (begun Feb 1994).
I was Editor at WLB from Jan 1993 until the magazine was
killed by HWWilson in June 1995.

Both _Library Journal_ and _School Library Journal_  got
their first email addresses from class.org, under my insistent
prodding, when I was executive editor, news & features, at
SLJ in 1992.

Best, GraceAnne DeCandido
Blue Roses Editorial and Web Consulting, New York City
ladyhawk at well.com
http://www.well.com/user/ladyhawk/gadhome.html