How much RAM do we really need?

Gary E. Masters gmasters at tamiu.edu
Tue Nov 30 09:30:12 EST 1999

Yesterday, I added memory to two workstations.  Both had had problems with
RAM.  On one with 64 MEG Quattro Pro would lock up on large files.  On the
other with 128 MEG, when several programs were open it would crash.  It
never happened when only one program was open.  I added two DIMMS to the 64
MEG workstation ato make it 128 (That is about all it will take) and on the
other I added one DIMM to get to 2565 MEG total.

After both additions, I went to my computer and checked resources.  Both
had 62% free.  The one that went from 64 to 128 has WIN 85 and the one that
went from 128 to 256 has WIN 98.  I expected more free resources.  This was
after the systems had restarted - they run NetWare 5 and have the latest
clients.

Is there another way I should measure memory use?

How much memory do they really need?

I may have added it with no good reason.

Thanks,

Gary Masters

Gary E. Masters
Automated Services Librarian