[WEB4LIB] Re: Netscape problem

Peter Jorgensen peterj at rand.lcl.lib.ne.us
Mon Nov 29 19:11:43 EST 1999

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Barbara M. Harris-Pruitt wrote:

> You don't have to reboot the PC to get Netscape to work again.  I just tried
> the following on Windows NT 4.0 with SP5 and Netscape 4.7:
>
> Exit Netscape.  Go into task manager and exit the Netscape.exe process.
> Yes, even though you have closed Netscape, with whatever that page is doing
> to Netscape, it keeps it running in the background even though Netscape no
> longer shows in the task tray.  Then, using Windows explorer, go to the
> netscape cache directory and manually delete all the cache files, INCLUDING
> fat.db.
>
> You can now restart Netscape without a problem.

Even assuming that something comparable to this would work on a Windows
9x system with Netscape 4.5 (which is where we've been having the
problem), this procedure would not be practical for us on the computers
running Fortres.  I'll keep it in mind, though, incase the problem does
crop up on our NT webserver -- thanks for the input!

Peter Jorgensen
Reference Department, Lincoln City Libraries
Lincoln, Nebraska
peterj at rand.lcl.lib.ne.us