[WEB4LIB] Re: Blocking web-based chat

Isabel Danforth danforth at tiac.net
Fri Nov 26 20:22:40 EST 1999

There was a study done at Alfred University attempting to relate time on
line and academic success.  Yes there was a correlation between students
who flunked out and those who spent mega hours online.  But the observation
was also made that these were the same students who would have found
something else to fill up their time.  When I was an undergrad in the
Boston area, it was known that several very bright MIT students managed to
flunk out because they spent too much time playing with computers.

I don't think we can use some observed correlation between flunking out and
certain behaviours to ban those behaviours.

Isabel

At 04:15 PM 11/26/1999 -0800, Lonna Beers wrote:
>Pardon another opinion on this topic but...
>
>While reading this discussion, I have had such mixed feelings.  I am trying
>to decide if my rational falls into the definition of censorship.  I would
>appreciate comments.
>
>We are a small community college library (10,000 volumes), almost completely
>dependent on electronic resources.  We have over 5000 students that come in
>all "shapes & sizes from 18 to 80," which is, of course, the wonderful
>characteristic of a community college and what I love best.  We are on the
>2nd floor of an "extended learning center;"  the downstairs provides
>tutoring & testing services plus access to over 150 PC's & MAC's.
>
>We have 18 PC's upstairs for research use w/ a web-based OPAC, multiple
>databases & indexes and access to the internet but no "production" type
>software.  We have posted signs on all the machines reminding students that
>research will receive priority over "other" uses.  But we do tolerate email
>& chat, if there is not an immediate demand.  They always have the option to
>go downstairs.
>
>My concern: the students I see sitting for hours in chat rooms during a
>semester and then suddenly I don't see them the next semester.  These are
>students who need this education and opportunity.  I know it is the "mother"
>in me...but I find myself asking them if they have finished their homework
>or studied for tests.  Yes, I get the rolling eyes.  And, of course, they
>reassure that all is well but...then they disappear the next semester.  I
>know I only have so much influence here.  But I am still a teacher and feel
>it is my responsibility to help not ignore this situation.  I'm not worried
>about content; I'm worried about lost dreams and opportunities.
>Isn't that what it's all about...helping them to "reach for the star...and
>to get it."
>
>We are small enough that I do get to know the students; I know it would be
>almost impossible to observe this kind of situation on a huge campus.
>
>Thanks for allowing me to add my concerns.
>
>*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*
>Lonna Beers
>Reference Librarian
>Montgomery College/The University Center
>Conroe, TX 77384
>(409) 273-7390
>
>If you are planning for a year, sow rice.  If you are planning for a decade,
>plant trees.  If you are planning for a lifetime, educate the person. -
>Kuan-tze

Isabel L. Danforth Technology Librarian
danforth at tiac.net
Wethersfield Public Library
http://www.wethersfieldlibrary.org
Coordinator of Librarians' Online Support Team
http://gnacademy.tzo.org/lost/