[WEB4LIB] Re: Blocking web-based chat

Lonna Beers ljbeers at main.com
Fri Nov 26 19:05:47 EST 1999

Pardon another opinion on this topic but...

While reading this discussion, I have had such mixed feelings.  I am trying
to decide if my rational falls into the definition of censorship.  I would
appreciate comments.

We are a small community college library (10,000 volumes), almost completely
dependent on electronic resources.  We have over 5000 students that come in
all "shapes & sizes from 18 to 80," which is, of course, the wonderful
characteristic of a community college and what I love best.  We are on the
2nd floor of an "extended learning center;"  the downstairs provides
tutoring & testing services plus access to over 150 PC's & MAC's.

We have 18 PC's upstairs for research use w/ a web-based OPAC, multiple
databases & indexes and access to the internet but no "production" type
software.  We have posted signs on all the machines reminding students that
research will receive priority over "other" uses.  But we do tolerate email
& chat, if there is not an immediate demand.  They always have the option to
go downstairs.

My concern: the students I see sitting for hours in chat rooms during a
semester and then suddenly I don't see them the next semester.  These are
students who need this education and opportunity.  I know it is the "mother"
in me...but I find myself asking them if they have finished their homework
or studied for tests.  Yes, I get the rolling eyes.  And, of course, they
reassure that all is well but...then they disappear the next semester.  I
know I only have so much influence here.  But I am still a teacher and feel
it is my responsibility to help not ignore this situation.  I'm not worried
about content; I'm worried about lost dreams and opportunities.
Isn't that what it's all about...helping them to "reach for the star...and
to get it."

We are small enough that I do get to know the students; I know it would be
almost impossible to observe this kind of situation on a huge campus.

Thanks for allowing me to add my concerns.

Lonna Beers
Reference Librarian
Montgomery College/The University Center
Conroe, TX 77384
(409) 273-7390

If you are planning for a year, sow rice.  If you are planning for a decade,
plant trees.  If you are planning for a lifetime, educate the person. -
Kuan-tze