[WEB4LIB] Re: Blocking web-based chat

Nancy Sosna Bohm plum at ulink.net
Fri Nov 26 13:37:21 EST 1999

In my small school, it's a matter of bandwidth.  When 18 computers in the
lab are all being used for email, the written policy of "no email or chat
[on the library's 6 computers]" is worthless.  A user can sit in front of a
Library machine for 5 minutes before even connecting to a site like InfoTrac
if the computer lab is not being used for non-Internet-connected
wordprocessing.
But since the Network administrator sees blocking email as an infringment on
the freedoms of the students, this discussion is purely academic for me, the
lowly Librarian.